Monday, December 21, 2009

Straight On 'Til Christmas

Today's run: 8.08 miles through Bath (work)
Time Finished: 62 minutes, 50 seconds (7 minutes, 47 seconds per mile)
Type of run: Easy - moderate effort
Miles this week: 8.08



So there was a little snow in Bath. Not much, but enough to make me wish I brought my YakTrax.

Don't get me wrong; today's run was good. I definitely felt the burn in my legs as I ran through the slush and packed snow. However, that packed snow made it difficult to maintain good speed as I was constantly losing traction every time I had to acommodate for traffic. Today definitely felt like a sub-7:30-pace run even if the total time didn't reflect that.

One thing I do like about running in Bath - at least from a training perspective - is the barrage of rolling hills. I'm beginning to notice what hills work me harder than others by watching my times on certain courses. The twists and turns on those hills provide extra challenge. The sharp downhills really work my quads out. The wind from some of the open fields...alright, well it's difficult to find a pleasant side to that.

All of this, including the wind, is great for winter race prep though because I do not know how weather will be like in February, especially for the 2/28 Hyannis Marathon. It could be 50 and sunny, 40 and rain, 30 and snow, or 20 with windchill warnings. Cape Cod is funny like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment